[wingide-users] Zope2 and Multiple Product Directories

Kapil Thangavelu hazmat at objectrealms.net
Fri Mar 4 14:21:03 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 18:48 +0100, Lennart Regebro wrote:
>  But that's a bit tricky with Zope,
> because Zope has two Product directories, so if you add them both to the
> Python path it will only find the products in one of then.

one of the biggest drawbacks i have to using wing on a regular basis is
that all my zope2 setups are done with multiple product directories (5
+). i notice that wing now has support for the instance home setups, but
i was wondering if its possible to make it work with multiple product
directories in an instance home setup.

ie. inside a particular instance home, you can specify multiple product
directories inside etc/zope.conf, which are initialized in order
(duplicates products skipped) and added to the virtual package Products.
So really an instance home setup which has minimum 2
(SOFTWARE_HOME/Products and INSTANCE_HOME/Products), can have arbitrary
product directories. with the caveat currently that none of these can be
named 'products'. ie for me a typical layout is

 shared_products # each of the subdirs contains multiple zope products
                 # and each is added to zope.conf as an additional
product directory.
   plone_2.0.5_products
   cps_3.2_products
   authentication_products
   database_products
   content_type_products
 instance_home
   Products
 zope-2.7
   lib/python

 adding the shared products by hand to the PYTHONPATH will cause
confusion to wing because the container directory is not named
'Products'. is there any way these can be added by hand to the virtual
package 'Products' to allow wing to introspect them properly?

thanks,

-kapil