[wingide-users] Module description display?

gary.h.merrill@gsk.com gary.h.merrill at gsk.com
Wed Jun 15 13:24:46 EDT 2005

Ick!!  No wonder I missed it.  With the new tabbed window implementation,
of course the Source Assistant is obscured when you click on something in
the Project Window (unless you've got two tool boxes up and happen to have
the Source Assistant displayed in one while the Project tree is displayed
in the other).

I'd urge splitting the Project window into two:  displaying the tree in
one and the module doc string in the other -- basically going back to the
old implementation for this feature.  It's "user abuse" (to borrow
Cooper's term) to make the user have to flick back and forth between
windows to see his doc strings as he clicks on the project modules (or to
have to configure his window set-up to try to maintain the ability to see
both windows simultaneously.   I know that you can "fake it" by splitting
the tool box, but this does impose additional requirements on the user,
and the doc string is still decoupled from the Project window, and so
either you have to keep the Source Assistant on top all the time or
your're still going to end up with the doc not being displayed when the
Project is displayed.  Not a good situation.    The previous incarnation
was very nice, fast, easy to use, and behaved according to expectations.

"Wingware Support" <support at wingware.com>
15-Jun-2005 13:03

gary.h.merrill at gsk.com
cc
wingide-users at wingide.com
Subject
Re: [wingide-users] Module description display?

gary.h.merrill at gsk.com wrote:
> What ever happened to the feature (in V1) where a triple-quoted string
> starting a file would be taken as a module description and displayed in
> a window under the project display?  I just noticed this appears to be
> missing in V2 -- or have I failed to see something?

The module doc string is now displayed in the source assistant when you
click on a python file in the project tree.