[wingide-users] Incremental development

konrad.hinsen@laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Tue Jun 14 13:04:32 EDT 2005

On Jun 14, 2005, at 17:35, Wingware Support wrote:

> We are looking at supporting module / fragment reload as a debugger
> feature.  It's not quite so simple as just sending code to evaluate.
> For example, think about existing instances that reference a bound
> code object for their methods -- replacing one of those won't just
> automatically happen if you just re-evaluate a changed class.  There
> are, however, ways to do this internally.

I didn't expect existing objects to be updated, for my test scripts
that really doesn't matter. I know what I have to reexecute after a
class change.

Of course, having an auto-update feature would be nice as well. That
would yield an environment similar to Smalltalk, where bugs can be
fixed in running code.

> Not really, for the above-described reason.  You can of course
> re-evaluate function defs and classes and that will work reasonably
> for new invocations or newly created instances.  I do this by dragging
> an dropping the function def from the source into the debug probe.  It
> adjusts leading indent and should evaluate automatically.

Ahhh.... there's what I was looking for. Dragging the definition to the
debug probe - I didn't even think of trying that!

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France