[wingide-users] Incremental development

Todd Ely Todd.A.Ely at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 14 11:39:18 EDT 2005

Wingware Support wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:
>

>>I have been using WingIDE for a few weeks now, and I find it very
>>valuable for debugging my applications. However, I note that I hardly
>>use it to develop new code, and I wonder if that's because of some
>>oversight - I can't claim to have read the manual cover to cover.
>>
>>My typical mode of development is best described as incremental. I
>>start writing a script that will include both new classes and testing
>>code, with the idea of factoring out the classes into modules once the
>>code is reasonably stable. I feed the code that I write in small chunks
>>to a Python interpreter as I write it, and then I run interactive
>>checks before writing and testing the next chunk (all this using Emacs'
>>Python mode). If something crashes, I fix the code and resubmit the
>>changed parts to the interpreter.
>>
>>I would love to do all this inside WingIDE, but it seems that I always
>>have to run the complete script, I can't just execute successive parts
>>of it under debugger control. Considering that my scripts often do some
>>lengthy computation in the beginning (e.g. loading a big protein
>>structure, which can easily take a minute or two), having to start from
>>scratch for every change slows down development beyond my patience.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

>I work similarly and have so far (more or less) satisfied my needs with:
>
>1) The Python Shell tool, where I try things out that don't require a lot
>    of setup or environment (as far as imported modules, initialization,
>    etc).
>
>2) The Debug Probe (Wing Pro only), where you can run to a breakpoint or
>    exception in your debug process and then execute code in the context
>    of your currently selected stack frame.  This is useful together with
>    conditional breakpoints to get to the particular case/state for which
>    you're trying to write some code.
>
>3) On occassion, I just write code in small bits and debug that instead
>    of launching a whole app into the debugger.  A good way to do this is
>    by writing unit tests and developing the code against the unit tests
>    first, and then trying it in the context of the whole app.
>
>Both (2) and (3) will benefit once we allow multiple debug processes at
>once so you don't have to exit your play space to try the code in the
>context of your real app.
>
>>From what you write, the Debug Probe is probably what you want (you can
>load your protein structure once and try different things against it).
>However, we'ld be interested in any suggestions for other capabilities that
>might make your work easier.
>
>Thanks for using Wing.
>
>Stephan Deibel
>
>--
>Wingware
>Wing IDE for Python
>Advancing Software Development
>
>www.wingware.com
>Wing IDE users list
>http://wingware.com/lists/wingide

I do a lot of programming that follows model 3 above.  That is it is a
lot programming of pieces that are part of a larger project.  In this
case the module that I am working on is not the main debug file.  Then
to run this file I use the 'debug current file' menu pick.   This type
of debugging would be more efficient if there was a button that I could
click rather than going to the button.  I'm sure there is a key stroke -
but I tend to be a gui sort of user.

Todd Ely

--
Dr. Todd A. Ely
Guidance, Navigation, and Control Section
E-Mail: Todd.A.Ely at jpl.nasa.gov