[wingide-users] Incremental development

konrad.hinsen@laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Tue Jun 14 06:29:32 EDT 2005

I have been using WingIDE for a few weeks now, and I find it very
valuable for debugging my applications. However, I note that I hardly
use it to develop new code, and I wonder if that's because of some
oversight - I can't claim to have read the manual cover to cover.

My typical mode of development is best described as incremental. I
start writing a script that will include both new classes and testing
code, with the idea of factoring out the classes into modules once the
code is reasonably stable. I feed the code that I write in small chunks
to a Python interpreter as I write it, and then I run interactive
checks before writing and testing the next chunk (all this using Emacs'
Python mode). If something crashes, I fix the code and resubmit the
changed parts to the interpreter.

I would love to do all this inside WingIDE, but it seems that I always
have to run the complete script, I can't just execute successive parts
of it under debugger control. Considering that my scripts often do some
lengthy computation in the beginning (e.g. loading a big protein
structure, which can easily take a minute or two), having to start from
scratch for every change slows down development beyond my patience.

Any ideas?

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,