[wingide-users] Did the "Set writable" dissapear in 2.03?

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Jun 8 17:14:05 EDT 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Dan Cook wrote:
> I went to use the "Set writable" menu item and noticed it is not there in
> 2.03.  Did I miss something?  Is there a way to refresh the file if the read
> permissions change (like using source control) without re-loading the file
> in 2.03?

We moved it to File Properties (available from the editor context menu or
Source menu) in the File Attributes (default) tab.  It is "Read only on
disk". However, this now operates on the permissions on disk as well so may
not be what you want.  If you just want to change the editor to writable,
you could use this script to restore a menu item as before:

   import wingapi

   def set_editor_writable(editor=wingapi.kArgEditor):
     editor.SetReadOnly(False)

   set_editor_writable.contexts=[wingapi.kContextEditor(),]

You can of course define a key binding for this new command also using
the User Interface / Keyboard / Custom Key Bindings preference.

For the matter, depending on what you're doing, you could invoke your
source code control command from a script like the above by getting the
file name with:

   fn = editor.GetDocument().GetFilename()

See how scripts/cvs.py in the Wing IDE dist uses AsyncExecuteCommandLine()
in the API if you want to get fancy with controlling the sub-process.

Hope that helps.

- Stephan