[wingide-users] Match objects etc

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sun Jan 16 12:36:58 EST 2005

On Jan 16, 2005, at 12:26 PM, Dave Aitel wrote:

> Charles Hartman wrote:

>>> Can't you just pop up the debug window and have those expressions
>>> evaluated?
>>>
>>> -dave
>>

>> Well, I don't think so. No expansion triangle beside it (unlike, say,
>> a list). Double-clicking gives a message saying debug-watch isn't
>> available (because I'm using Personal), but that's not what I want
>> anyway. It looks as though a Match object falls under what Help calls
>> Opaque Data, though I'm not really clear why. Am I, as so often,
>> missing something really obvious?
>>
>> COH
>

> What you want is the "Interactive Debug Probe". Check under "Windows"
> to see if you can find it. Then you can execute arbitrary python
> expressions as if you were in the current stack frame. I use this
> often to debug programs which have overridden methods that fool the
> Wing debugger.
>
> -dave

Ah -- no use to me, then, because that's only in Professional, not
Personal. I don't really have another $60 to spend for that & the other
cool features of Pro -- I guess it will have to wait till I finish the
current project, do some kind of "public release" of it, and apply for
an Open Source Developer's license. (I certainly don't anticipate being
a Commercial one!) But thanks very much for the pointer. Meanwhile I'll
keep adding diagnostic lines to my code.

COH

"Mac OS rules! (Where is everybody??)"
		-- the Safelight Developer