[wingide-users] wings usability

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jan 13 19:19:17 EST 2005

M. Werner wrote:
> The case about Dannys mail is usability. You told him, that even Windows
> users can get used to mini search. Shure can we  - but thats not the point.
> Mini search does not fit Dannys working habits (nor does it mines). When

I'm sorry if you got the impression that I was suggesting Danny use
mini-search.  My intention was to ask him if placing the current search
tool closer to the editor would improve the situation and to suggest
that there is some use for the mini-search, even if it is a bit foreign
to non-emacs users.

> I'm searching for someting, I almost always know what I'm looking for.
> Placing the Cursor on a word, pressing ctrl-F3 to find the next occurence,
> then F3 to find the next (or shift-F3 for the previous) is exactly what I
> need to san the file for all the uses of the search token. ctrl-f should
> open a dialog box where I can enter my search text (plain or as regular
> expression). From then on F3 should work as above. Usability counts, not
> features.

The Ctrl-F3, F3, and Ctrl-F key equivalents all should bring up the
search tool and search as you describe above.  Currently Wing doesn't
bring up a simplified dialog because the search can be done with the
search tool and I would prefer not to add another search interface.
This may change based on this and other feedback.

> Originaly I wanted to complain about a lot of ohter things, like key
> bindings which make no sense under Windows, GUI-Layout, menu structure,
> non-english keyboards and so on. But the mail may got to long und eventualy
> too boring for the mayority of wingide-users. Drop me a mail if you are
> interessted in a usability study of wingide. My opinions as multy IDE user
> might be of interrest for you.

I'd like to hear your feedback, either on or off the mailing list.  We
want to find out what users find useful and not-so-useful and we do try
to incorporate the suggestions into future versions of Wing.

Thanks for taking the time to write,