[wingide-users] debugging - attaching to a running process

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Thu Jan 13 16:47:36 EST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, D. Bahi wrote:
> this is probably documented somewhere... i want to attach to a running
> process like one would do with gdb - by passing the pid - but the
> wingide 'attach to process' interface just shows ip:port...
>
> so i guess i'm supposed to add some wing python code to my application
> to allow wing to attach to it while running. what code and how please?
> (or is this only for zope?)

If launching processes from Wing but then detaching, it lists
them in the attach dialog as long as they exist.  If using wingdbstub,
the attach port is by default 50015, which is set in wingdbstub.py
using the kAttachPort value (or corresponding environment variable).

If you're debugging remotely (host to host or to a process running as a
different user than the IDE), you'll want to read this to also get access
control set up:

http://wingware.com/doc/debug/attaching-and-detaching

Things get more complicated if you're running multiple processes
since then the default port configured in wingdbstub will be used
only by the first one.  Please let us know if this is a problem
for you.

Thanks,

- Stephan