[wingide-users] Linefeeds problem

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 04:53:28 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:03:39 -0500, Wing IDE Support
<support at wingware.com> wrote:
> Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
>
> > For some reason I do not know, I ended up with a lot of source files
> > with a wrong line-ending in WinG. They are set to CR which is not what I
> > need/want. However, I haven't found a way of changing that to LF in
> > WinG. I can set it for new files but not for existing files. Or am I
> > missing something. If not, then I'd say that it is really a miss.
>
> The line endings of existing files can be changed via search and
> replace; the line-feed & carriage return characters can be inserted into
> the entries by using the popup menus attached to the arrows on the right
> side of them.
>
> You may need perform the search & replace several times because 2.0.1
> has problems with processing them all.  We are working on resolving
> these problems.

Although I'm not using Wing right now for entirely unrelated reasons,
I have one suggestion to offer. Line ending conventions are one
nagging issue when doing development with a team that has both Linux &
Windows developers. My suggestion is *not* to use search & replace to
make it, but to provide good configuration options that:

- allow to specify the default line ending (CR+LF, LF);
- allow to specify if auto conversion should happen when reading &
saving source files.

To be useful, these options must be settable on a per project basis.
Global options aren't very good, because different projects may end up
having different conventions. Another possible enhancement is to allow
these settings to be done on a per file extension bassis, so TXT files
can have CR+LF and source files have LF only (that's a usual
convention, for practical reasons!). but that may be overkill at this
point - the per-project options are a great step.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com