[wingide-users] Best environment for Python/C development

Andrew Wheeler AWheeler at SigmaTel.com
Fri Feb 25 11:30:00 EST 2005

Personally, I'd use MSVC++ 6.0, and, if possible, wrap the C code into a
COM server (DLL).  I don't know that VS .NET buys you much over VC6, at
the cost of more complexity.

  _____

From: wingide-users-bounces at wingware.com
[mailto:wingide-users-bounces at wingware.com] On Behalf Of
gary.h.merrill at GSK.COM
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 8:41 AM
To: wingide-users at wingide.com
Subject: [wingide-users] Best environment for Python/C development

This is one of those horrible "What is the best ...?"  questions that of
course have no unique answer.  But I'd appreciate some feedback based on
experience.

I'm finally at the point where I need to implement some things in C
since the Python implementations are *way* too slow.  I'd like to be
able to debug my combined Python and C code as straightforwardly as
possible.  I gather that this can be done via a route using wingstub,
and I can probably figure out the details of that since I've used
wingstub before to debug spawned processes.

My question is this:  Assuming development on and for Windows, what C
development environment seems best for this sort of thing?  I've got (a)
Borland V6 -- which I am starting to find pretty irritating since it
want's to crash in some circumstances and I don't think much of its data
display features, and (b) MS Visual .Net  (2003) which I've rather
studiously avoided for a couple of years because its complexity somewhat
bewilders me.

Any experience or thoughts on this?  Would something like CodeWarrier be
a better choice?

Gary H. Merrill
Director and Principal Scientist, New Applications
Data Exploration Sciences
GlaxoSmithKline Inc.
(919) 483-8456