[wingide-users] Best environment for Python/C development

gary.h.merrill at GSK.COM gary.h.merrill at GSK.COM
Thu Feb 24 09:40:44 EST 2005

This is one of those horrible "What is the best ...?"  questions that of
course have no unique answer.  But I'd appreciate some feedback based on
experience.

I'm finally at the point where I need to implement some things in C since
the Python implementations are *way* too slow.  I'd like to be able to
debug my combined Python and C code as straightforwardly as possible.  I
gather that this can be done via a route using wingstub, and I can
probably figure out the details of that since I've used wingstub before to
debug spawned processes.

My question is this:  Assuming development on and for Windows, what C
development environment seems best for this sort of thing?  I've got (a)
Borland V6 -- which I am starting to find pretty irritating since it
want's to crash in some circumstances and I don't think much of its data
display features, and (b) MS Visual .Net  (2003) which I've rather
studiously avoided for a couple of years because its complexity somewhat
bewilders me.

Any experience or thoughts on this?  Would something like CodeWarrier be a
better choice?

Gary H. Merrill
Director and Principal Scientist, New Applications
Data Exploration Sciences
GlaxoSmithKline Inc.
(919) 483-8456