[wingide-users] Some thoughts on Wingide

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Wed Feb 9 15:10:43 EST 2005

Brian Almond wrote:
> Over the last couple weeks I've been using Wingide more heavily than
> in the past, and have had a few issues.  Most of them are small but
> cut down on my enjoyment of the IDE.

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

> At times I've noticed code completion slow down to the point at which
> my typing output was reduced at times to 3-4 seconds per character.

You can set a delay before the completion popup appears so that doesn't
come up constantly.  This setting is in the auto-completion preferences.
    We are aware that displaying the popup with a large number of
symbols (such as the contents of the wx module) is slower than it should
be and are working on resolving the problem.

> Sometimes I may be quickly wanting to close
> my current project and take a quick look at a separate file, and then
> close Wingide and do something else.  If I'm not paying attention, I
> end up closing the project, and viewing the file, but inadvertently
> add the file to the default project (which is rarely useful to me).

Hmm, this is a consequence of the default project which was added so
users could work without explicitly creating a project.  Perhaps Wing
should not re-open the default project when another project is closed,
which would be more in line with Visual Studio's behavior.

> At times Wingide seems to think that I should be at a different indent
> level than what I'm using, and then refuses to tab to that indent.  At
> this very moment, I have a method definition I'm trying to input, and
> after typing the "def" line (complete with trailing colon) and hitting
> return, it goes to the fourth tab stop on the next line.

Is def at the first or second tab stop?  Are you using tabs or spaces
for indents?  It might be helpful if you could send an example file to
support at wingware.com.

> Here's another thing I've noticed which is small but may be worth
> tweaking.   ....  When you hit the up arrow [after pressing return],
 > instead of staying in the
> same column the cursor jumps to the beginning of that line.

Yes, this is a bug that we'll look into.

> Folding:  It would be great to have a context menu item for expand
> full.  This is an operation I use often while browsing code and it
> would be nice to have it in a menu for mouse use as well as via a key
> binding.

It will be possible to add items to the context menu in the next release.

 > Another very small thing that would be nice is to have fold
> closures and openings to keep the line with focus in the same place on
> the screen after the operation.  Currently depending on where you are
> in your file, and which folds you're opening and closing, the line
> you're looking at when you make the fold operation moves elsewhere.

We'll look into this.

> And finally, edit window bookmarking features and browser window
> support (for HTML documentation) would be additional nice things to
> have.

More bookmarking features are in our longer term plans.  By browser
window, do you mean the ability to embed IE or mozilla in the IDE to
view 3rd party documentation?

Thanks again,