[wingide-users] retirement of installed copies

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Thu Feb 3 15:44:53 EST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Andrew Wheeler wrote:
> Is there any support (in the works) for floating licenses?  I personally
> work on about 4 different systems (office, home, laptop, main build
> system), and we have a few other folks at the office who sometimes -
> albeit  rarely - use Python.  It'd be great if we could float 2-3
> licenses between all these machines.
>
> Mind you, I totally understand if your business model expects a license
> per system.  We'll buy, with no complaints, whatever licenses we need
> and Finance allows such that we can get our work done.  This mostly
> comes down to me taking advantage of my work license when I'm at home.

Wing is licensed per developer and each developer can install
Wing on any number of machines for their own use.  There is a
default limit on activations of each license but this can be
increased on request.

For additional developers, you do need additional licenses.
However, from what you wrote it sounds like indeed you would only
need 2-3 licenses to cover yourself and the others.

We do also license per operating system type (Windows, Linux,
OS X), so you may need to get a 2 or 3 OS license if all the
machines you use aren't running the same OS.

One related thing that is in the works is a way to activate a
single installation on multiple machines so it's easier to carry
around a portable disk or memory stick with your work on it.
Currently, that isn't well supported without copying around
license.act files (one per host).

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python