[wingide-users] Feature request: include parameter dictionary keys in the autocomplete list

Russell Warren rwarren at picarro.com
Tue Dec 13 14:42:20 EST 2005

I would like it if the parameter list of a function you are calling gets included in the autocomplete list.

For example...

  def abc(arg1,arg2=2):
    pass

  abc(ar
        ^

Both arg1 and arg2 should be in the autocomplete list here.  If the SourceAssistant can know what the parameter names are it seems reasonable to have them in the list.  As a bonus, it would be nice if there was some sort of identifier (bold or a * prefix?) to indicate that the item is a parameter and is not an in-scope object - if both exists with the same name, include both (with one id'd) to indicate this.  Whatever tag you add (say *) it obviously shouldn't be entered when you choose it, or affect the alphabetic sort ordering of the list.

While I'm at it, I'll add some creep to this and say it would be extra special if you could add icons before the autocomplete text indicating what type of object each name is (variable, class, method, etc).  Certainly more difficult for the control/widget, but you at least have the info available (with what we see as the SourceBrowser in this case).

Fighting the feature creep, if you just added the parameters/args as plain text to autocomplete it would be just fine.

Cheers,
Russ