[wingide-users] Bug with "System GTK"

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Wed Aug 17 10:09:55 EDT 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, [iso-8859-15] Frédéric Mantegazza wrote:
> I'm using WingIDE under Linux (Debian sarge), and I have some troubles when
> using "System GTK" (see picture attached) WingIDE freezes with CPU at 100%.
>
> I'm using libgtk 2.6.8-1...
>
> All works fine without "System GTK". The problem occurs with WingIDE 2.0.2
> and 2.0.3.

Unfortunately, some versions of GTK are not binary compatible so it's
impossible for us to always make system gtk work.  Looking at your
screenshot, I believe your version of gtk may be paired with a version
of pango that breaks any application based on Scintilla, although
there could be other problems as well.  You will need to use the
private GTK that comes with Wing.

We're working on updating the version of GTK that Wing is built with
and that may solve your particular problem.  However, we have to be
careful not to break widely-used systems.  We have both the problem of
breaking system GTK on systems that work now, and the more serious
problem that newer GTKs crash on older Linuxes, which would mean Wing
built on newer GTK could not run at all on some older but widely used
Linux dists.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python