[wingide-users] Stack data view and watch view don't sisplay more than 72 characters of string variables

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Aug 15 11:24:03 EDT 2005

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Gigi wrote:
> The value of string variables in the stack data view and watch view is
> truncated after 72 characters. Actually 76 characters are displayed
> because the first character is a quote and it ends with 3 dot
> characters. I guess it is to make the stack data view snappy and
> responsive and that's fine, but there should be a way to expand the
> value if the user really wants to . Is there a way to view long
> strings? I can write my own function to travers the locals()
> dictionary in the debug probe and use it instead of the stack data
> view, but I hope for a better way.

Unfortunately, there isn't a better way -- this is something that came
out of the implementation between 1.1 and 2.0 because of a major
redesign of the debugger but we still need to re-add a good way to
deal with long strings that are not easily accessible from the debug
probe.  I've increased the priority on this task.

- Stephan