[wingide-users] Keeping debugger out of "other" files

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Mon Aug 15 09:36:50 EDT 2005

On 13 Aug 2005, at 01:27, Michael Hipp wrote:
Is there any way to tell the debugger to never go outside my project
files to
display the location of an unhanded exception.

Frequently it will dive deep into some of the core packages for
wxPython to
report a bug that is actually in my own code. It would be safer and more
useful to stick to the files in the project. If you're not paying
attention
you can mistakenly be editing some far flung file outside the
project. Plus,
it has now taken me to a place where the actual error probably is not
and I
have to make my way back.

As far as I know Python does not provide an easy way to throw a
exception from higher in the stack trace than the line of code where
the problem has occurred, in the manner the Carp module does it in
Perl, which is a pity since pre-condition violations are nearly
always better signalled in the calling code than in the callee for
example.

Since Python does not provide this feature, it would indeed be nice
if the debugger could do so. I would reckon two alternatives: clim
the stack until (a) one has moved out of the faulty module and (b)
one has moved out of the faulty package.

Luc Bourhis