[wingide-users] Evaluating WingIDE

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Mon Aug 1 14:53:09 EDT 2005

Wingware Support wrote:
> Michael Hipp wrote:
>
>> - Ability to truly hide the horizontal tool area - it still takes up
>> valuable editing screen space even when hidden.
>

> Just to be clear, do you mean the few pixels that the drag bar to adjust
> the split takes?  Or, do you have the tabs showing?

I have the tabs showing. (Is there a way to hide them?) But I'm really
wanting it all to hide and allow the edit window to drop all the way
down against the status bar.

  >> - Ability to move/hide the small tool bar above the editing window
>> that contains the back/forward buttons and the class and function
>> selectors.
>

> We could add an option to hide this bar.  As far as moving it, were you
> envisioning putting it into its own window.

I think my preferred option would be to hide it as it is somewhat
redundant to the 'Browse Current Module' feature on the vertical tool
bar. But I'd also like the ability to move it to the same line as the
file tabs. Or perhaps even move it to the main WingIDE tool bar.

> Also, did you try hiding to file tabs?  This is a way of hiding a tool
> bar and maximizing screen real estate.

I think you meant "hiding the file tabs". I like the file tabs showing
as they're the fastest way to jump around in the files.

>> - The tabbing and indentation often seems to have a mind of its own.
>> Sometimes it won't indent a line no matter how many times I hit the
>> tab key. And why won't tabbing work between the end of a source line
>> and a end-of-line comment (to align the comments in a block). I have
>> to resort to the spacebar.
>

> Currently the tab key always indents a line, no matter where the cursor
> is.  Ctrl-T can be used to enter a tab character.  We intend to provide
> the option of changing this in the future.  Can you send any examples of
> where Wing fails to indent to support at wingware.com?

Sent.

I guess I'd like to recommend the rule of "no surprises" in that the tab
key does what's expected by our experiences with other text editors.

>> - Provide a "Hide" button directly on the horizontal tool area.
>

> There is a "hide tool box" on the tool box's context menu that is
> brought up with the left mouse button or by clicking on the triangle on
> the left of the tool box.

Yes. But I would like an easy-to-hit target that makes it (fully)
disappear with one click. Note that the 'F1' key is appreciated. But
something in the GUI would be helpful also.

>> - Improve the little tiny icons to the left of items in the tree in
>> the vertical tool area. For example when browsing code in the current
>> module, most of the icons are some slight variation on a green circle.
>

> The circles have F (function), M (method), or C (class) in them and are
> colored green if public, red for private, and yellow for semi-private
> (one _ prefix).  Are the letter to small for you?  If you want to send a
> screenshot, please send it to support at wingware.com.

I sent a screen snippet both of WingIDE and Komodo.

>> - Improve the size/color/readability of the icons in the main WingIDE
>> tool bar ("Windows Defaults" theme). They're small and hard to
>> discern. There is a lot of "dead" pixel space around them.
>

> Have you tried adjusting the size and text presence in the preferences?
>  I also use a 1024x768 laptop screen also and I end up using a small
> size toolbar with icons only.

Yes. I've tried different combinations but in order to get the icons up
to normal size (per Win32 conventions), the overall tool bar gets way
too fat. Note that much of the problem is there are quite a lot of dead
pixels around the icon image (within the button area) and above and
below the actual buttons. Also the colors appear a bit washed out and
non distinct.

Thanks for your time and attention,
Michael