[wingide-users] Evaluating WingIDE

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Aug 1 13:09:18 EDT 2005

Thank you for your feedback; it's feedback like this that will direct
future development.

Michael Hipp wrote:
> - Ability to truly hide the horizontal tool area - it still takes up
> valuable editing screen space even when hidden.

Just to be clear, do you mean the few pixels that the drag bar to adjust
the split takes?  Or, do you have the tabs showing?

> - Ability, from the GUI, to change the colors for syntax highlighting.

This is something we need to do and I've just upped the priority on
implementing it.

> - Ability to move/hide the small tool bar above the editing window that
> contains the back/forward buttons and the class and function selectors.

We could add an option to hide this bar.  As far as moving it, were you
envisioning putting it into its own window.

Also, did you try hiding to file tabs?  This is a way of hiding a tool
bar and maximizing screen real estate.

> - Improve color syntax highlighting:
>       - 'True' and 'False' should be colored as Python keywords like
>           'None'.
>       - Python operators (e.g. +-*/) should have their own color.
>       - Color parenthesis (), brackets [], braces.

Good suggestions.

> - The tabbing and indentation often seems to have a mind of its own.
> Sometimes it won't indent a line no matter how many times I hit the tab
> key. And why won't tabbing work between the end of a source line and a
> end-of-line comment (to align the comments in a block). I have to resort
> to the spacebar.

Currently the tab key always indents a line, no matter where the cursor
is.  Ctrl-T can be used to enter a tab character.  We intend to provide
the option of changing this in the future.  Can you send any examples of
where Wing fails to indent to support at wingware.com?

> - Provide a "Hide" button directly on the horizontal tool area.

There is a "hide tool box" on the tool box's context menu that is
brought up with the left mouse button or by clicking on the triangle on
the left of the tool box.

> - Improve the little tiny icons to the left of items in the tree in the
> vertical tool area. For example when browsing code in the current
> module, most of the icons are some slight variation on a green circle.

The circles have F (function), M (method), or C (class) in them and are
colored green if public, red for private, and yellow for semi-private
(one _ prefix).  Are the letter to small for you?  If you want to send a
screenshot, please send it to support at wingware.com.

> - Improve the size/color/readability of the icons in the main WingIDE
> tool bar ("Windows Defaults" theme). They're small and hard to discern.
> There is a lot of "dead" pixel space around them.

Have you tried adjusting the size and text presence in the preferences?
  I also use a 1024x768 laptop screen also and I end up using a small
size toolbar with icons only.

Thanks again,