[wingide-users] search/replace revisited...again

David Niergarth dn at hddesign.com
Thu Apr 21 15:41:44 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'll agree that I also find searching and replacing in Wing very
frustrating and often unintuitive. I have found incremental searching
very useful but I'm still surprised when I hit ^g/F3 and go to the next
incremental search item rather that finding the next instance of the
search text following where my cursor is set (especially when I end up
in a different file -- feeling lost indeed).

I think the problem here is a conflation of the usual dialog-based
search and replace (ala BBEdit, UltraEdit, Nedit, Jedit, etc.) with the
very useful but novel incremental search features. My suggestion would
be to replace the "quick search" with the standard dialog-based search
and replace (where everything proceeds from wherever the cursor is
currently positioned regardless of what may have been going on with the
incremental search) and use different key bindings for the incremental
search functions. Having the usual dialog-based search function
available by default (i.e., using the conventional key bindings: ^f, ^g,
F3, etc) would prevent a lot of the criticism the current setup endures.

+1 for a "search within current selection" option for all searches

+1 for making Python regex search/replaces an option for all searches
(quick search and/or any new dialog-based searches included)

Hope this helps,

--David