[wingide-users] Observations on Wing Speed

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Mon Apr 18 15:34:46 EDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Ken Kinder wrote:
> I have a few observations about WingIDE's speed. I think it largely
> depends on the size of the project, because my main project has
> literally hundreds of small PHP and template files, along with the
> back-end Python files. Curiously, my editor seemed considerably slower
> after doing a global search on these files (I don't mean during the
> search itself). Restarting the IDE seems to reset the speed hit from the
> global search. Intrigued, I tried splitting my project into two separate
> project files: one for the web stuff I seldom ever look at, and another
> for the Python files I constantly use.
> By removing these other files from my project, I managed to pretty much
> completely restore the responsiveness of my editor. This seems a bit
> strange to me, because it doesn't seem like WingIDE should be processing
> non-Python files in the background. Has anyone else noticed, or does it
> seem plausible that having a large number of small text files in the
> project could slow down Wing's editor? It seems like, based on the fact
> that the problem tends to be worse after a global search, that it would
> be a memory leak.

Wing 2.0.2 does have a problem where it auto-saves the project
far too often.  With large projects this can really load things
down, especially if your User Settings directory is on a network
disk.  We're working on fixing this for the upcoming release.

I don't have an explanation for the fact that it seems worse
after a search.  We'll look into that also since it might reveal
something else that needs to be optimized.

Thanks for reporting this.

Stephan Deibel

Wing IDE for Python