[wingide-users] Observations on Wing Speed

Ken Kinder ken at kenkinder.com
Mon Apr 18 11:03:00 EDT 2005

I have a few observations about WingIDE's speed. I think it largely
depends on the size of the project, because my main project has
literally hundreds of small PHP and template files, along with the
back-end Python files. Curiously, my editor seemed considerably slower
after doing a global search on these files (I don't mean during the
search itself). Restarting the IDE seems to reset the speed hit from the
global search. Intrigued, I tried splitting my project into two separate
project files: one for the web stuff I seldom ever look at, and another
for the Python files I constantly use.

By removing these other files from my project, I managed to pretty much
completely restore the responsiveness of my editor. This seems a bit
strange to me, because it doesn't seem like WingIDE should be processing
non-Python files in the background. Has anyone else noticed, or does it
seem plausible that having a large number of small text files in the
project could slow down Wing's editor? It seems like, based on the fact
that the problem tends to be worse after a global search, that it would
be a memory leak.

-Ken