[wingide-users] Contributed modernized WingDBG

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Tue Apr 12 02:49:31 EDT 2005

Stephan Deibel wrote:
> - Auto-start debugger. If enabled, start the debugger http server
>   when Zope starts. Disabled by default.
>
> - Auto-reconnect to IDE. If enabled, and not connected to the
>   IDE, the debugger will attempt to connect every time it services
>   a request.
>
> - Logging to the Zope event log. In addition to stdout, stderr
>   and a file, you can also opt to log to the standard Zope event log.

A few things I want to add:

- The minimum Zope version has been changed to 2.5.0; Zope 2.4 doesn't
   support Zope Page Templates. I doubt anyone still develops on 2.4
   though.

- The above features have been in use in my development setup for a few
   weeks and work flawlessly on my Linux environment. I'd love feedback
   on other platforms though.

- The most experimental change is that the wingdb modules are unloaded
   when you stop the debugger. This allows you to change the Wing Home
   Dir without restarting the Zope server. However, I do not know how
   this will interact with the extensions (.so, .dll) that are part of
   the Wing debug package, especially on platforms other than Linux. As
   far as I can make out and test, this works fine on Linux.

   If you experience memory leaks or other weird behaviour this may be
   the culprit and I'll rip it out again.

Martijn Pieters