[wingide-users] Thread Safety and Scripting

Wingware Support support at wingware.com
Thu Apr 7 13:14:21 EDT 2005

Ken Kinder wrote:
> Is it safe to call ExecuteCommand from a thread? I couldn't find any
> mention of threading in the docs.

Don't use threads.  If you need something to happen in the background,
schedule it as an idle task; see the cvs.py script for an example.  This
should be (but isn't) documented.

Our philosophy is not to use threads in almost all cases -- and as a
result, we not spent any time debugging thread problems with the IDE
itself (well, not quite, we have spent a few days pulling our hair out
tracking down problems introduced by dll's being loaded into the process
and starting threads ;).

Threads do have their uses; I am not saying that threads should never be
used.  We made a decision not to use threads when developing Wing, which
means that scripts cannot use threads.

Cheers,