[wingide-users] freezes freezessssss

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Sun Oct 31 14:27:26 EST 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
> Now that I've been working with 2.0 for a few days now I can say that
> the editor is cool except for some minor usability problems. However,
> debugging python is a different story. Yesterday I tried to debug some
> code that runs in Zope and I got many freezes (forcing me to reboot). I
> installed the patch for the recursive imports and indeed that fixed one
> kind of freeze. However, in this session the freeze wasn't
> deterministic. It occured almost random. I tried it several times and
> each time the freeze was at a different place or in a different point in
> an iteration.
>
> So, *sigh*, well, it's very hard to do testing and I'm willing to spend
> some time to figure out when it happens but I don't know how.

It would be helpful to submit a bug report from the Help menu with the
"include error log" checkbox selected after you restart.  This may
provide us with some useful information.

Details on what specific action(s) (stepping, expanding variable data,
typing in debug probe, etc) immediately preceded the freeze would
also be useful.

Sending us your preferences file would also be useful.

Also, please let us know what version of Zope you're using and which
version of WingDBG.

One test, if you can stand it, is to debug in combined window mode
and see if you still see the problem.  It's conceivable using
one-window-per-editor mode is bringing out a bug somehow.

Finally, have you tried bringing up the Task Manager with ctrl-alt-delete
when this happens or is the system totally unresponsive?  If you wait say
a minute or two, does it ever unfreeze?

Thanks for the report -- hopefully we can narrow down what is going
on in this case.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python