[wingide-users] Tab key behaviour is odd

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Thu Oct 28 01:15:56 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Hugh Gibson wrote:
> > It sounds like you want to map the tab key to an entirely different
> > command.  I don't think we can make the above change without annoying
> > people that want the current indent-to-match behaviour, but we can
> > create a command like what you describe and make it available for
> > use instead (or using some other key combo, if you prefer).
>
> I don't see that it's that different from the existing behaviour (though
> "I would say that, wouldn't I?" :-) ). Once there is some code to the left
> of the cursor, tab does nothing. In that case the "indent-to-match"
> behaviour isn't appropriate, and I'm suggesting something else to take its
> place.

Actually, people *do* want to be able to indent to match by hitting tab no
matter where the cursor is on the line.  For example, after pasting a line
that's not indented right, just hit tab to get it to the right place.

> I guess if I can switch the tab key to another command or script then I
> would be happy. I wouldn't be so happy if I needed to use another key
> combination as it is so automatic for my fingers.

You can remap the tab key to any command or script.

> Alternatively I'll work on the source code and customise my copy - is the
> code still available after signing an NDA?

Yes, you can get the sources if you have Wing IDE Pro and send in an NDA
(http://wingware.com/pub/wingide/support/source-non-discl.pdf).  But you
won't really need that for simple scripting.

I'll try to create the script soon.  It's a good example and quite simple,
except it looks like our API is missing access to prefs, which will be
needed to determine indent sizing.  We'll need to issue a patch that
exposes that; we just can't do any of this until our code freeze ends and
2.0 final is out.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python