[wingide-users] Tab key behaviour is odd

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Wed Oct 27 17:18:51 EDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Hugh Gibson wrote:
> > Hmm, I don't want such behaviour. I love the ability to indent the
> > current line to the right level, according to the previous code,  using
> > TAB, whatever the cursor position is !!! I don't want to have to go the
> > the begining of the line to do that...
>
> LOL. Fair enough - can't please everyone.
>
> How about this slight modification to the behaviour:
>
> If you detect that there are only spaces before the cursor, or it's the
> start of a line, then tab should insert sufficient spaces for the current
> code indent level (or whatever you determine the indent level should be).
>
> In all other cases it should insert sufficient spaces so that the cursor
> is at the next column which is divisible by the number of spaces in a tab
> stop.

It sounds like you want to map the tab key to an entirely different
command.  I don't think we can make the above change without annoying
people that want the current indent-to-match behaviour, but we can
create a command like what you describe and make it available for
use instead (or using some other key combo, if you prefer).

I've added this to the feature request we created with your first
request.  It's actually a good example of something scripting will
allow you to do in the future.

Sorry for the delays on this.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python