[wingide-users] Re: Bug in rc2 that exists in rc1

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Tue Oct 26 20:48:41 EDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Douglas Soares de Andrade wrote:
> I found a bug. I already talked about this bug earlier...
>
> But here it goes...
>
> i have done a :
>
> $ rm -rf /home/douglas/.wingide2
>
> And when i try to call wing rc2 with the command it jut show the splash and
> closes.

Very odd.  We thought the problem was because you had non-ascii chars
either in the path to your Wing IDE installation or your settings
directory.  We tested that, it got the same errors as you're getting, and
we fixed that and verified the fix.  From your log, you don't even have
non-ascii chars in either of these so it appears we're getting non-ascii
chars in a non-unicode string some other way and then choking when
converting to unicode (it's trying to write a normal log message when the
preferences file isn't found).

Text encodings on Linux can be a real pain.  Before we started this, I
was under the naive impression that Linux would be easier to deal with
than Windows in this regard.

I'll send you a file to try that will show us for sure what is happening.

You can probably work around the problem by creating and empty
'preferences' file in ~/.wingide2 and also inside your Wing IDE
installation.

Thanks for the report.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python