[wingide-users] Debugging xmlrpclib with Wing

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Tue Oct 26 14:05:46 EDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Wing IDE Support wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, David Detlefsen wrote:
> > I'm having trouble using the Wing debugger with the xmlrpclib module.
> I've fixed this in our sources and it'll be fixed in 2.0 final (but
> probably not 2.0rc2, which is due out soon).

Turns out, it *will* be fixed in 2.0rc2.  This fixes a class of
problems caused by values that define __getattr__ that always
return something for any attribute thrown at them, and also
for cases where the value returned is a callable instance.

> Later it may still be necessary to increase the Debugger / Advanced /
> Network Timeout preference, although the bug fix also reduces the amount
> of time we spend running around this value.  You'll know that you need
> to increase this timeout if it says <error handling> instead of showing
> a value.

Actually, you won't -- the fix avoids running around ServerProxy
via getattr() in ways that resulted in multiple network calls
building up to very slow data retrieval.

Thanks again for reporting this!

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python