[wingide-users] Debugging xmlrpclib with Wing

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Tue Oct 26 01:27:51 EDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, David Detlefsen wrote:
> I'm having trouble using the Wing debugger with the xmlrpclib module.
>
> Specifically,
>
> The following code will run perfectly fine
>
> Import xmlrpclib
>
> Myserver = xmlrpclib.Server("http://myserver.mydomain.com")
> ...some calls to the server
>
> But when I try to debug, stepping over the commands, the stack develops
> normally (variables updated) but when I get tot the Myserver statement
> above, the debug process stops (stack data shows locals & globals greyed out
> and undefined).
>
> Am I doing something wrong here?  The code executes fine the but debugger
> seems to stop.

It looks like probing the value Myserver is timing out because of the way
ServerProxy implements __getattr__ and because of a bug in 2.0rc1 where
we're being too gullible about what __getattr__ is returning.

In 2.0rc1 the best thing to do is to add "Myserver" to the Debugger / Data
Filters / Omit Names preference and then use the Debug Probe to inspect
the value if you need to.

I've fixed this in our sources and it'll be fixed in 2.0 final (but
probably not 2.0rc2, which is due out soon).

Later it may still be necessary to increase the Debugger / Advanced /
Network Timeout preference, although the bug fix also reduces the
amount of time we spend running around this value.  You'll know that
you need to increase this timeout if it says <error handling> instead
of showing a value.

Thanks for the bug report!

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python