[wingide-users] A few observations on 2.0 rc1

F. GEIGER fgeiger at datec.at
Mon Oct 18 01:51:39 EDT 2004

Dear WingIDE team,

since a few days I use rc1 on my Windows box:

- Source Browser has improved, finally shows all classes in project. Good.

- Source Assistant seems to have become worse: Now more often cannot infer
type. Seemed better in beta 5.

Example:

from Model import Model
model = Model()

This leads to "Symbol: Model; Cannot infer type"

Model is implemented this way:

class Model:

   _State = {}

   def __init__(self):
      self.__dict__ = self._State
      if self.__dict__:
         return

      self._dn = None
      self._hasSplashScreen = 0

   def dirName(self):
      return self._dn

   def setDirName(self, dn):
      self._dn = dn
      return

   def hasSplashScreen(self):
      return self._hasSplashScreen

   def setHasSplashScreen(self, value):
      self._hasSplashScreen = int(value) != 0
      return

Nothing special here.

- Cursor navigation is slowlier than in beta 5 (I'm on XP/SP1 on a 3GHz
Notebook). This is minor issue, of course.

Has anyone else made the same experiences?

- An issue which hass annoyed me ever since, i.e. not 2.0 rc1 specific: Why
can't I see the type of an exception in WingIDE?

Example: If I want to see what exception is raised if certain conditions
occur I check this in a shell. Then I can see, which Exception I have to
catch in my code. So I go to Wing's Python Shell and type int("This will
fail").

What I get is:
>>> int("This will fail")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <string>
Inappropriate argument value (of correct type): invalid literal for int():
This will fail

I have no idea what exception this could be. Is it a TypeError, or a
ValueError? So I have to fire up Python itself in console window to check
this. Here I get:

>>> int("This will fail")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ValueError: invalid literal for int(): This will fail

Now I know that I have to catch a ValueError in my program.

The same happens with uncaught exceptions. I cannot see their class in the
Exception Window.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards
Franz GEIGER