[wingide-users] a no-problems report

Ian J Cottee ian at cottee.org
Thu Oct 14 18:10:00 EDT 2004

Hi

This is absolutely no business of mine but that hasn't stopped me before
;). I took Stan's comment as a 'hey guys - here's a non bug report,
cause you don't get those'. Often, as I am sure you know as a developer,
when you are reaching the end stages of a project the size of Wing 2 and
your everyday is spent going through the latest bug reports you start
thinking that your project is riddled with the things. Of course - that
isn't the case it's just that you only receive the bug reports.

(as an aside I now have this mental image of a Microsoft app, popping up
a box which says 'Hey - you haven't crashed today. Please fill in the
details here to let us know how great we are')

So as both you and Stan have now sung the praises of the Wing team let
me say that I am now a convert (and that has happened in the last three
weeks). I am not a convert of the IDE but I emphatically am a convert of
the debugger and more specifically the Zope debugger. The last three
weeks has been spent in some major Plone development and debugging.
Without the WingIDE 2 debugger I'd probably be shouting and cussing
still. Being able to step through Plone code, examine my globals and
locals and change the things in place is just INDISPENSABLE.

Why haven't I paid up? OK - I will do next week. I can't live without
the thing.

And now some balance. I am not a convert of the editing environment
still and I think the big issue is speed. Compared to my usual Emacs
environment (I use ECB for class browsing and general IDE coolness with
Emacs) there just seems to be a fraction of a second too much pausing,
the screen doesn't have that 'snap' that I am used to. Maybe this can be
improved. Maybe the emacs keys don't work for me - I keep thinking it is
Emacs and it's not as snappy. Not sure. Any performance tips would be
much appreciated.

Ian

PS I saw Boa Constructor being demonstrated at the Plone conference. One
of the nice features it has is ZPT debugging. Any plans for such a thing
in Wing?