[wingide-users] Wing-IDE 2.0 rcx,on Win32... Python 1.6

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Mon Nov 15 18:43:17 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Randall Young wrote:
> Is there a way to coax Wing-IDE rcX to run python 1.6? I have a lot of code
> linked to 1.6 libs with external C routines so I'm kinda stuck!

You can recompile the debugger from sources for Python 1.6.  Since we
support 1.5.2 and 2.0 it's likely to compile w/o problems.  Details
on that are here:

You will need access to the Wing sources if you don't already,
which requires a non-disclosure agreement:

Alternatively, you can very likely debug under Python 2.0 with
your extension modules compiled for 1.6.  It'll complain about
mismatched APIs but in our experience so far most extension
modules end up working reasonably when this is done.  However,
I don't have experience doing this specifically with 1.6 -> 2.0
so I'm not sure if you'll run into problems in that case.

Hope that helps.

Stephan Deibel

Wing IDE for Python