[wingide-users] Reload files popup is too aggressive

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Wed Nov 10 10:02:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Hugh Gibson wrote:
> Under Windows 2000, when a changed file is detected the "Reload files"
> dialog pops up in front of every other window.
>
> So if you are typing in another window suddenly you get the dialog
> appearing, and may inadvertently press return and "OK" it.
>
> I thought this behaviour was banned in Windows 2K onwards. You should open
> up the dialog, but leave it unactivated while flashing the icon.

Yes, it shouldn't be doing that.  The reason we can raise in front of
other apps is that we set a flag at startup that is used by debuggers to
allow themselves to come to front when a breakpoint or exception is hit.
Most apps don't do that on win 2k+ but we have to at least while
debugging.  We should, however, be acting normally for things like the
reload dialog.

One way to work around this is to set the reload policy for unchanged
files to automatic in the files / reloading preferences group.

Thanks for the report.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python