[wingide-users] freezes freezessssss

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Wed Nov 3 23:57:59 EST 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Danny Bloemendaal wrote:
> Now that I've been working with 2.0 for a few days now I can say that
> the editor is cool except for some minor usability problems. However,
> debugging python is a different story. Yesterday I tried to debug some
> code that runs in Zope and I got many freezes (forcing me to reboot). I
> installed the patch for the recursive imports and indeed that fixed one
> kind of freeze. However, in this session the freeze wasn't
> deterministic. It occured almost random. I tried it several times and
> each time the freeze was at a different place or in a different point in
> an iteration.
>
> So, *sigh*, well, it's very hard to do testing and I'm willing to spend
> some time to figure out when it happens but I don't know how.
>
> I had to revert back to 1.1 to debug my code :-(

FYI to the list:  The above problems seem to be caused by the nvidia
Desktop Manager on Windows.  They appear more frequent when using Wing in
multi-window modes but occur in all cases.  Disabling the manager prevents
the problems, which seem to amount to the nvidia card becoming super
sluggish while the system CPU actually remains near 0% utilization.

There may be other display issues (such as failure to draw window contents
when un-minimizing from Windows task bar) specifically with nvidia cards
even if the desktop manager is disabled.

We'll get an nvidia card and will track down the problem(s), assuming this
is something we can fix or work around in our GUI library.  In the
interim, users with this desktop manager may want to disable it when
running Wing (there may be options for disabling it per-application).

Please report any other freezes or sluggish display behaviors to us,
as this may point to related video-card-specific issues.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python