[wingide-users] New Wing

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Wed May 12 14:50:06 EDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Dave Aitel wrote:
> source assistant I'd like:
> self.a+=1 to resolve to "possibly integer"
> and self.a+="A" to resolve to "possibly string"
> then you could probably infer a lot more about other variables, I
> think. Right now these come out as undefined. I really like the idea
> for this feature - I just think it should be more aggressive. It's
> already coming in handy by hinting my definitions at me when I'm
> calling a function.

Yes, there are areas where our static analysis engine could be doing a
better job.  We have a list of these and will be working to expand what it
can do, since now the results of its work are so much more visible in the
user interface of the IDE.

> Ah. There's the indentation manager. It's in a "tool". It would look
> nicer as a dialog box, I think, but whatever. :>

You can bring any tool up in its own window using the New Tool Window
section of the Window menu.  (Yes, the initial size of windows is
wacky in 2.0b3; this is a bug we need to fix)

> The help file could use a section on the difference between a shared
> project and a normal project.

There is a little bit of info in the Project chapter of the manual
(section 3.5).

> What's the timeline on being able to handle multiple threads with the
> debugger?

We'll be looking at this for 2.1.  We've been working towards refactoring
the debugger so it can support this, but there is still work to be done.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python