[wingide-users] CRITICAL bug fix for 2.0.0 beta series

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Fri Jul 23 14:48:44 EDT 2004

Hi,

Wing IDE Personal and Wing IDE Professional versions 2.0.0b3
and 2.0.0b4 both have a bug that can potentially cause serious
data loss when non-ascii characters are used in source files.
The bug results in truncation of files to zero length when
they are saved to disk.

Although English speaking users will probably not be impacted
by this problem, we recommend that all users of Wing IDE 2.0.0b4
apply the patch below.  Users of Wing IDE 2.0.0b3 should upgrade
to 2.0.0b4 and then apply the patch:

http://wingware.com/pub/wingide/prerelease/2.0.0b4/bugfixes/save-data-loss-bugfix-2.0.0b4p9-all.tar

The patch should be unpacked into your Wing IDE installation so that
you have a directory called:

patches/2.0.0b4/09-save-data-loss-bugfix

The bug is actually a combination of several problems.  The
only known way to trigger it is to enter non-ascii characters
into the the Replace field of the Search Manager before
a Replace All operation.  However, there may be other ways
to create the conditions that lead to data loss, so we
recommend all users to apply the patch.

As far as we know, only one user was affected by this problem.
If you are working with beta versions of Wing IDE, please keep
in mind that frequent backups and use of a revision control
system are always a good idea.  We do our best to avoid releasing
software (even betas) with bugs like this, but unfortunately after
4 years and 33 releases we've managed to do it.

Sincerely,

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python