[wingide-users] Multiple IDEs one workstation. Is it possible?

onedsc at sonic.net onedsc at sonic.net
Wed Jul 14 13:00:26 EDT 2004

OK don't know if this is actually supported or not, but this is how I am
using  the IDE.

First a little background:
I am using remote debugging exclusively and use two instances of the Wing
2.0b4 running using different projects.  One is pointing to the source
tree under source code control and the other is pointed at the NFS mount
point of the remote system.  So I edit in the source IDE, compile and then
copy the source to the remote NFS directory.  Before you ask I can not NFS
mount the source tree directly as the remote system assumes root access
and changes permissions accordingly.  So I must copy them to a separate
directory and use that as a NFS mount point.

Here the problem:
I get some strange behavior when running two instances even when using two
completely separate projects.

1) My search/replace window has disappeared in one project, but not the
other.  It is still functional in that I can use the up and down arrows to
go to the  source, but the window is not present (showing the code and
line number).
2) It seems there are some "global" properties that is shared between
projects, like the debugging information under preferences.

Is there a way to keep the two projects from clashing with one another?

I am almost tempted to not use the second IDE for source editing, but I
like the IDE and would really like to use two at the same time.

Is this effort supported or is it more trouble than it's worth?

- Dan