[wingide-users] Going "back" after going to definition - v 2.0.0

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Fri Jul 2 10:34:52 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Hugh Gibson wrote:
> I'm just wondering if there's a way of going "back" after using F4 to go
> to a definition. This can be very useful if you want to inspect a function
> before writing some code, so jump to the definition and then want to go
> back to where you were working. Sort of like a "pop context" command.

Not right now, but we're planning on altering the way the forward/back
buttons in the top left of the editor works so they go forward and
backward between places you've visited in the source (sort of an
auto-bookmarking thing, if we can make it work).  This is planned to be
included before 2.0 final; we just hacked those buttons for now to get
our betas to do something reasonable.

> Oh, and how easy is it to configure hotkeys for debugging actions like
> step into, step out etc? WingIDE does appear to be more mouse-centric than
> I would like.

Most of these should already be configured and the key combos are shown
in the menus.  You can alter them by editing the keymap.normal (or
keymap.emacs if using emacs key bindings) files in the Wing IDE
installation.  This is documented here:

http://wingware.com/doc/custom/key-equivalents

(however, the command name reference isn't there yet so for now email us
if you need help)

We're planning on adding preferences to make this easier, but that's
going to be after 2.0 final.

In general, Wing should be keyboard navigable but there are problems
with this in the betas.  Let us know what specific things are not
working as you want them to and we'll concentrate on those.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python