Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] goto-selected-symbol-defn command

Wing IDE Support support at wingide.com
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:52:31 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Luby Liao wrote:
> Hi, is there anything we need do, other than setting up PYTHONPATH, to
> make the command goto-selected-symbol-defn fully functional?

That's the main thing to check.  Looking at the contents of the
dialog displayed from the Show Analysis Stats item in the Source
menu helps to confirm the values are what you think they are.

Since Python doesn't contain type information there are going to be
cases where Wing can't infer type of a value and thus won't be able
to find the definition of a value (or show autocompletion options,
etc).

One trick that can help in many cases is to add some hints to your
code like this:

assert isinstance(xxx, CMyClass)

Often a few hints like this will propagate through to provide much
richer autocompletion and goto-defn support.

Optionally, e.g. if you need to avoid circular import problems, this
can also be expressed like this:

if 0:
  import mymodule
  assert isinstance(xxx, mymodule.CMyClass)

This code won't affect anything at runtime but Wing's source analyser
ignores the condition and will then be able to infer the type of xxx.

Please let us know if the above doesn't help and it looks like Wing
is still missing obvious cases.

Wing IDE for Python
Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
Take Flight!