Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] Search/Replace Manager

Wing IDE Support support at wingide.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:51:09 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Adi Sieker wrote:
> is it possible to change the behaveiour of the Search/Replace Manager
> I find it really annoying that as soon as I press CTRL + F the
> SearchManager jumps to the next occurance of the last string searched
> for. I would prefer IMHO "Standard" behaviour. i.e CTRL + F opens the
> dialog or brings it in front and then pressing the ENTER key or clicking
> on the Find forward will start the search. Also adding CTRL + G as a
> short cut to repeat last search would be nice.

I'm open to changing our defaults, although I think we've had complains
about Ctrl-F bringing up the search manager too and we changed away from
that as a result (of course ;-).

You can already get most of what you want (except using the ENTER key to
search) by altering the keymap.normal file in your installation.  Change
the two lines that say this:

'Ctrl-F': 'search-forward'
'Ctrl-9': 'search-manager'

So they instead say:

'Ctrl-G': 'search-forward'
'Ctrl-F': 'search-manager'

You'll also need to remove or alter the current use of Ctrl-G for
jumping to the definition of the symbol at the insertion location
(or comment it out with '#'):

'Ctrl-G': 'goto-selected-symbol-defn'

We've totally redesigned and expanded search capabilities in Wing IDE 2.0
(yes, it really is coming).  Your comment is still relevant there as far
as the default key bindings for bringing up the search tool vs. doing a
search, and it would be a good time to make a change in our defaults.

> Also there is one bug in the current behaviour of the search.
> If I don't press CTRL+F in the SearchManager window the value in the
> Search text control won't be remembered. i.e. if I want to search for
> TestString and type this in the search box WingIDE will start an
> incremental search as I type if I now close the SearchManager ALT+F4
> because the first occourance is found the string TestString won't be
> remebered.

I've verified that this has been fixed in the 2.0 interface.

Hope this helps.  Thanks for writing!

Wing IDE for Python
Archaeopteryx Software, Inc
Take Flight!