[wingide-users] I/O while debugging

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Mon Dec 27 11:34:32 EST 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Charles Hartman wrote:
> I reported the bug (it was a bug) and got a very quick response (it's
> on the list for 2.0.2) -- thanks very much to WingWare!

For the record, there is an OS X specific bug in 2.0.1 that prevents
keyboard input from working properly in the Debug I/O panel.  The
work-around is to use an external console (xterm) for now.

> -- though in the Python Shell panel of the Tool Box triple-quoted
> strings don't work (can't start a new line inside one).

Yes, that's also a high priority fix already on our list.

> Here's another item, not a bug exactly: Is there any way, under X11
> under Mac OS X, to make a click on a button in an inactive window both
> activate the window and press the button? This is default OS X
> behavior, and a real help. I use a separate Wing Tool Box (on a second
> monitor), and operations that require going back and forth between
> editor and tool box get noticeably slowed down by the need to click
> twice just to (for example) establish a cursor.

This is a function of the X11 software or window manager you're running.
The only thing I could find for Apple X11 Server is the hidden option
wm_ffm, which causes focus to follow the mouse.  To enable it type
the following in a terminal or xterm window:

defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_ffm true

Then restart X11

To turn it off again do this and restart X11:

defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_ffm false

> Finally, is there any way to exclude variables from the Stack Data
> panel? Often I want to check just a few, and they're scattered within a
> long alphabetized list.

If you're using Wing IDE Pro, you can double click on items in the
Stack Data or Modules tools (or right-click for tracking options)
to add them to the Watch tool.  That tool is omitted from Wing IDE
Personal, however.

There are also some preferences for filtering what's shown but
most likely this won't get you what you want, as they're focused
on including/excluding values by general type (such as modules,
functions, methods, etc).

Hope that helps.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python