[wingide-users] debugging code that uses zope.interface

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Mon Dec 20 00:13:28 EST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Eric Mangold wrote:
> I'm trying to debug a Twisted-using application, but I'm running in to a
> problem with zope.interface (Twisted depends on zope.interface)
>
> debugging the following program results in a traceback
>
>   from zope.interface import implements
> print "here"
>
> I get this traceback:
>
> AttributeError: __provides__

This looks like a normal internal exception Wing thinks is going to be
unhandled so it's reporting it to you.  You can either check the
"ignore this exception" checkbox in the Exceptions tool or alter the
way Wing reports exceptions using the Debugger / Report Exceptions
preference.

There are some details on exception handling here:

http://wingware.com/doc/debug/managing-exceptions

> Also, isn't it weird that it's showing the following block of text twice?
> File "/home/torn/code/wingide-problem.py", line 1, in ?
>     from zope.interface import implements

This is unrelated, but yes it's odd.  Most likely the outermost frame
should be pruned and hidden from you but for some reason isn't.  It is
probably harmless as we always prune some extra stack for debugger code
that gets executed before your code.  It may be that in this case the
frame is being altered somehow by an import hook or other code so we fail
to recognise it as prunable. Anyway, this gets into debugger internals you
shouldn't have to care about -- thanks for reporting this problem.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python