[wingide-users] New scripts not detected in Wing 2.0.1

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Thu Dec 9 12:53:09 EST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Hugh Gibson wrote:
> I opened my project for working on a Wing script. It had the main script
> file I am working on open, but it was an older version prior to CVS
> checkin.
>
> I copied the new script back from my CVS sandpit. However, it wasn't
> detected as a changed script - there was no "File changed - reload"
> dialog, and closing the file and re-opening it brought up the old file.
> Even closing the project and opening another one, then returning to the
> original project gave no improvement.
>
> I had to close Wing and then re-open it before the script change was
> detected.

It sounds like the script reloader choked on it and left things in a bad
state, w/ an internal cache left open that shouldn't have been.  Could you
submit a bug report from the Help menu and check on the "include error
log" checkbox?  That might include a useful traceback.

In general, it's a good idea to submit a bug report that way when
something like this happens, as it gives us much more info to go on.

> Another request to do with scripts: when there is a failure in the script,
> can you give a traceback in the error message? I've had to use a binary
> search of the code using "return" statements to find the line at fault.
> When there is a syntax error in the script you show details, why not for
> an execution error? Minor aside: the error dialog appears twice.

Yes, we'll make debugging easier.  Remember, scripting support was yanked
from 2.0 and what's there now is incomplete and buggy.  It's slated for
cleanup in 2.0.2 when it should become less bleeding edge than it is now.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python