[wingide-users] Re: Wing 2.0 plugin question

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Sun Dec 5 19:50:13 EST 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Adam Feuer wrote:
>   It's looking like the best way to implement a good interface to brm
> is through a panel that would look very much like the search panel.
>
>   I'm checking the source out in guimgr/searchmanager.py, so far it
> looks pretty straightforward...
>
>   My question now is, how do I create a new Tool and have it show up
> in the Tools menu? Is this possible?

Yes, but for now you'll need to edit src/config.py to add a panel identity
constant (e.g., kSearchPanel is the search manager), and add it to the
kDefaultPanels or kUserPanels constant also.  This is something we should
change to make it more modular.

Use this constant in your panel defn class then instantiate one instance
of that class from somewhere during Wing's startup to register the panel
type. It looks like doing that from a script should work -- maybe just
from an idle() call like in the example.py script and return 0 to remove
the idle call when the panel has been registered.

I think that's all there is to it -- let us know if you run into problems.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python