[wingide-users] Debugging source generated by calling "python myfile.py"

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Thu Aug 19 04:23:50 EDT 2004

Wing IDE Support wrote:
> wingdbstub can be configured via environment variables.  Because the
> debugger starts automatically the first time it's imported, environment
> variables must be used to configure it.

I know about that. :) I had occasion to study it intimately. I was
proposing an extension, here are two more concrete ideas:

- Provide an API to reconfigure the debugger; it'll try and connect when
imported, but a reconfiguration method call will prompt a new connection
attempt (or at least abort the old one and require an explicit call to
make a new connection).

   import wingdbstub
   # By the time we are here, wingdbstub already did its connection
   # attempt.
   wingdbstub.configure(...)
   wingdbstub.reconnect()

- Alternatively, provide an *extra* module that'll let you configure the
connection *before* you import wingdbstub.

   import wingdbconfig
   wingdbconfig.setFoo(..)
   wingdbconfig.setBar(..)
   import wingdbstub

The wingdbconfig module would only need to encapsulate manipulations of
os.environ, really.

Martijn Pieters