[wingide-users] 2.0b5 issues

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Tue Aug 10 22:21:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Chuck Esterbrook wrote:
> Although I favor traditional Windows interfaces, one thing I *don't*
> like about them is how they pop up a Find dialog that obscures what I'm
> reading. I'm soooo tired of moving those freakin' find panels; I've done
> it thousands of times now.
> I think your find panel in 2.0b4 has several problems that really
> cripple it and probably make people feel it needs to be trashed.
> However, if these were fixed, I think you would get a different
> reaction. (Sorry if these are fixed in b5--I haven't checked it out yet.
> Also, this repeats what others have said, but I'm "casting my vote" by
> doing so.)
> - Hitting Ctrl-F should copy the selection of the edit window *and*
> highlight all the text in the Find text box so I can immediately type
> over it if I want.

2.0b5 selects for overtype but it's Ctrl-Alt-F for search-on-selection.
I know we can't make everyone happy making Ctrl-F do that but maybe
it could be a preference.

> - Pressing ENTER should find.

This is on our list... F3 works for this purpose in 2.0b5.

> - Pressing TAB should go to the next control, such as the Replace field.
> - F3 should work for next find.

Both fixed in 2.0b5.

> Just those four fixes would be a HUGE relief.

Well, we're getting there! ;-)

> Btw other Windows tools I use reserve Ctrl-G for "go to line". I
> naturally tried this in Wing on my first day.

For some reason we've also gotten requests for Ctrl-G to search
in addition to F3 (both work tho somewhat randomly Ctrl-G is
what's shown in the menu).  The real solution is probably easier
to deal with keymap modification and more keyboard personalities
rather than the sort of general "Normal" mode we have now.

- Stephan