[wingide-users] 2.0b5 issues

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Tue Aug 10 22:21:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Chuck Esterbrook wrote:
> Although I favor traditional Windows interfaces, one thing I *don't*
> like about them is how they pop up a Find dialog that obscures what I'm
> reading. I'm soooo tired of moving those freakin' find panels; I've done
> it thousands of times now.
>
> I think your find panel in 2.0b4 has several problems that really
> cripple it and probably make people feel it needs to be trashed.
> However, if these were fixed, I think you would get a different
> reaction. (Sorry if these are fixed in b5--I haven't checked it out yet.
> Also, this repeats what others have said, but I'm "casting my vote" by
> doing so.)
>
> - Hitting Ctrl-F should copy the selection of the edit window *and*
> highlight all the text in the Find text box so I can immediately type
> over it if I want.

2.0b5 selects for overtype but it's Ctrl-Alt-F for search-on-selection.
I know we can't make everyone happy making Ctrl-F do that but maybe
it could be a preference.

> - Pressing ENTER should find.

This is on our list... F3 works for this purpose in 2.0b5.

> - Pressing TAB should go to the next control, such as the Replace field.
> - F3 should work for next find.

Both fixed in 2.0b5.

> Just those four fixes would be a HUGE relief.

Well, we're getting there! ;-)

> Btw other Windows tools I use reserve Ctrl-G for "go to line". I
> naturally tried this in Wing on my first day.

For some reason we've also gotten requests for Ctrl-G to search
in addition to F3 (both work tho somewhat randomly Ctrl-G is
what's shown in the menu).  The real solution is probably easier
to deal with keymap modification and more keyboard personalities
rather than the sort of general "Normal" mode we have now.

Thanks,

- Stephan