[wingide-users] Python consumes 100% CPU (Linux) problem

Wing IDE Support support at wingware.com
Fri Aug 6 13:06:30 EDT 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 onedsc at sonic.net wrote:
> I am using the latest beta with all the patches on a Redhat 7.3 distro
> with Python 2.3.4 installed.  I am using the "--private-gtk" flag when
> starting WingIDE.  But lately I have been doing normal editing functions
> (typing, arrowing down, etc) and the CPU jumps to 100%.  When executing
> top I see that "python" is consuming the CPU.  The IDE is essentially
> locked at this point and my only recourse is to kill the python process
> and loose all my recent changes. :(
>
> Is this "project file" related as it seems to happen more frequently lately?
> The files in question are about 2000 lines or so.

Next time it happens, could you submit a bug report from the Help menu and
check the 'include error log' checkbox?  This might include some clues as
to what's going on.

After you do that, try removing the 'cache' directory inside your
~/.wingide2 directory, and restart Wing, to rule out any odd analysis
state.  It is most likely the analysis engine going into a loop, so could
also be caused by the particular content of your files.  Most likely
something that changed recently before you started seeing the problem.

The next beta, due out in a day or two, goes further to fix this by
limiting time allocated to recursive analysis.  However, we're still
interested in finding and fixing analysis recursion bugs so if you
have any hunches what code is causing it, please let us know.

Thanks for the report.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python