Store

 Search:

[wingide-users] small feature requests

Ken Sugino sugino at attbi.com
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:58:42 +0000

I think wing is 'nearly' perfect tool for python development ;)
But the following features will make me (and others probably)
more comfortable.

(I may be just missing already existing feature/settings.
In that case, please just point out how to do it.)

1) 'except' keyword indentation after 'return' key to match previous 'try':
Currently, I have to manually outdent 'except'. Emacs python-mode does it
automatically.

2) Indentation of nested list:
I often represent hierarchical structure using nested lists. And I want
their nested level indented in a 'visually' appealing way. But wing does
it in a strange way. So, currently I have to re-indent using C-c-> or C-c-<.
(Is this because I'm using tab mode?)

For example:
# wingide indentation (settings: tab=4, indent=4)
test_indent = ["level1",
			"a1",
			"a2",
			"a3",
			["level2",
	"b1",
	"b2",
	"b3",
	["level3",
"c1",
"c2",
"c3",
]]]

# xemacs python-mode indentation
test_indent = ["level1",
               "a1",
               "a2",
               "a3"
               ["level2",
                "b1",
                "b2",
                "b3",
                ["level3",
                 "c1",
                 "c2",
                 "c3",
                 ,]]]

# what I expect in tab mode (sample)
test_indent = ["level1",
			"a1",
			"a2",
			"a3",
			["level2",
				"b1",
				"b2",
				"b3",
				["level3",
					"c1",
					"c2",
					"c3",]]]

3) 'replace all in specified region' : Sometimes I only want to replace
in some region of the file and doesn't want to push 'replace & find
next' many times.  (O.K. I admit, I don't use this every day, but since
it's possible in emacs, I miss it sometimes.)

4) Smalltalk like source browser. The tree widget is kind of awkward to
navigate. I miss good old smalltalk browser which has three list boxes...
(O.K. this is again really personal preference. But I bet there are lots
of people who prefer 'three(or four) list box' style than 'tree' style.
And it's not that hard to do once you have the tree thing working.)

5) Coloring of entries in the source browser tree widget according to its
kind (method, attribute,...) instead of appending 'method' or 'instance
attribute'. Those appended texts make it harder to distinguish between them
easily.  Since attribute name is usually like 5 character long, appended
'instance attribute' occupy about 80% of the whole sequence, which makes
all of them look quite similar.

Hope this is a usefull feedback,
Ken